Thursday 17 October 2019

New Wave Film + Plan


New Wave film Brainstorm:
  • Montage
  • Black and white with distortion layer
  • Possibly edit to mimic a super 8 camera
  • On-location shoots 
  • Natural lighting 
  • Make video footage slightly saturated 
  • Make the film personal (Narrative ideas)
I will use my train journey to the college to my advantage and film the journey. I will combine the video with my footage and stock footage. Some of the ideas I have will be very hard to get myself so I will have to use stock footage. When it comes to editing I will merge the stock footage and my footage together so that it all looks authentic. 

The song that I am putting over the top of the film will be from a band called brockhampton, this band has done music videos for other songs of theirs and their style is very unique and eye-catching. Typically in their videos, the film is very abstract and experimental. Most of the music videos don't follow a narrative but have some sort of visual structure. I will be implementing their style into a new wave format. The music video that I have been inspired the most from is this one as the video has this grain and noise all in the video. The video is very dark and drab. I will be using the grainy effect used in this video. For the brockhampton video, the reason it was grainy is because of the lighting or lack of. The ISO was too high and this is how they achieved this effect, it works stylistically with the song and pace of the vocals.   



Although my video will not be focused on the vocals as much I still want there to be a connection to the vocals and visuals even if it's in a small way. The stock footage will consist of security footage of a robbery, a time-lapse of a car going down a highway and a night club.

I would like to apply a black and white filter over all of the footage to make the extra noise a better look. I will also experiment with the effects of black and white by lowering different channels of colour and intensity of certain channels and see what the outcome looks like. Along with the black and white effect, I wanted to make the aspect ration different than normal so that it conveys a more experimental and new wave style. Breaking the rules is exactly why new wave was so important for that time.  


I will be adding an extra effect on the black and white footage and that is both noise and dust/scratches. I will alternate between coloured noise and no colour noise. Switching between the two will have a good effect and make the video look even more experimental. Both of these effects will give a very authentic look to the footage, especially with the black and white it will add to the aesthetic I am trying to portray.  

The editing process took longer than I thought because I had to add all of the effects individually. 


New Wave film:


 


To conclude I feel like the final product came out well as I combined stock footage and footage that I shot on the train. I wanted to have a psychedelic and trippy video that has a very small narrative. I didn't want people to focus too much on the narrative but to focus more on the visuals and the stylistic choices that I had made. Along with the small narrative that I had towards the end of the video I wanted some of the video to be personal to me. the beginning of the clip has some key motivations that I have and want to achieve in the future. Along with the film being personal and some of the shots and zooms being unmotivated, it follows specific traits for New Wave cinema.      

No comments:

Post a Comment

Evaluation of my practical skills

Overall this year I feel like I have had improved my skills as a videographer. The constant practical work that we did definitely helped me...