Thursday 30 January 2020

Questionnaire / evaluation

Questionnaire 

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/RZ8KSJS 

Here are the results of the survey overall. 




 Please explain further to question 1:

I quite like these responses as they did influence me to do more of a narrative music video.



The reason why I specified to Tyler, the Creator and Brockhampton is that the song I am going to choose is either NEW MAGIC WAND or ST PERCY, which are both songs from these two artists/bands. I felt like to get the best research for me personally had to be about these two artists as they would help me the most over any other artist. 



These responses helped me more to choose the narrative style of the music video as I feel like it would be more impactful. I feel like I can be more creative with a narrative music video as I can make a story as crazy as possible to match the songs I have chosen. "no matter what genre, narrative music videos grab mu attention more" this is one of the responses that I had to this question and I strongly agree. A performance video can be very generic sometimes and I don't want the video to be generic and boring to watch. With a narrative video, you can be as creative as you want and these songs match a narrative.  


While the research from the survey says that an urban environment has the most votes I didn't want that to influence me too much as I believe that there any genre can work in any type of environment. This is why I added a doesn't matter option because I wanted to see if there were any people that thought the same way as me.   

I wanted to get some inspiration from the look of some music videos that stand out from people and some of the videos I got really stood out and I really enjoyed. While I have seen Post Malones 'Goodbyes' music video I had forgotten how good the video looked and the narrative behind it. The atheistic of the video really stood out from all of the other responses. The old western vibe to the video made it a more interesting watch. Along with the somewhat generic song themes, the video makes the song a lot more enjoyable for me as it reminds me of the video. This is the same effect that I want with my music video.

 

 This question doesn't affect my final video too much as the video doesn't have to have an intro or outro. 
 With this question I wanted to know what style to go for with the video. Although I will have a standard amount of editing in the video I want to keep it gritty and look rough. So I won't be doing any colour grading or any heavy editing to make it cinematic. 




This question over summarises the survey overall as it makes the video I will make more important to me. Noone put that they disagree or strongly disagree. This shows me that the target audience for music videoes likes to watch them and are interested to watch them. It adds another layer of interest for the song and the artist which is what the fans really want. 

Strengths:

  • Good for quick research that precise 
  • Gets a range of responses and answers 
  • Easily shared over social media 
  • Very quick and easy to complete
  • Has influenced the my decision on doing either a performance video or narrative
  • Easy to analyse with the range of responses
  • I am able to take parts of peoples responses into my video
  • Videos sent in by other people that are of interest can influence

Weaknesses: 

  • Although I have a range of answers it's only towards one demographic
  • I could have been more specific on some questions as some answers are a generic
  • Had more questions to get a better feel of what the people think of music videos
  • Stretch out to other video genres so that I get a bigger coverage in my research
  • Wording on some of the questions 


Overall the survey has helped me fully decided to go for a gritty, realistic narrative music video. I feel like the research shows that that's the best for the mass to enjoy it. Some of the videos that I got sent to watch did also influence me especially Goodbyes by Post Malone. The videos aesthetic and overall tone to the video really inspires me to create an interesting and fluid story that makes sense. I want the narrative to be the point of the video and the story to stand out. I want to use a range of locations and shots to create the story. I feel like using things like a gimble and other equipment will be very useful and interesting to use as I want the gritty and real-world the video will be based on needs to be shown in the best way possible.    

Using the medium of a survey like this really made it easy for others to do which means I get more responses and overall more insight from other people. Along with the fact that I sent out the survey to my social media so that it could get a lot of coverage it also means that the demographic of the results will be for the target audience. As well as the target audience that the video is for it also stretched out to family members and I got a wider spread of responses and not just the correct age demographic. To get a wide age demographic for my research did help me as I got some insight on what other peoples responses were to my questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Evaluation of my practical skills

Overall this year I feel like I have had improved my skills as a videographer. The constant practical work that we did definitely helped me...